Sunday, May 1, 2011

Coaches prove you didn't have to play to win

This article hits home to me as I passed up an opportunity to play small college basketball to go and learn from Mark Few and his staff at Gonzaga. As a competitor and having a love of basketball, I sometimes regret not going and playing. However, I don't think I could have learned as much as I did and it drove me to study and learn harder. Although I may be at a disadvantage at times not being an ex-player, I feel as though I have prepared myself better and may be more ready than others.

COACHES PROVE YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO PLAY TO WIN by Andy Katz

Everyone knows about the coaches who have the playing pedigree to match their coaching success. But there are a handful of college coaches who didn't play that are having alot of success. "I don't think you have to have been a great player...You just have to understand the game, and how to teach the game."

Just a few of the names:

Bill Grier- San Diego
Mark Few- Gonzaga
Joe Pasternack- New Orleans
Bruce Weber- Illinois
Tom Crean- Indiana
Bruce Pearl- Tennessee

and many others that did not play or played small college basketball that are having huge success at the Division I level.



No comments:

Post a Comment