Monday, May 2, 2011

Where Amazing Happens



Chris Paul is doing something incredible and it has nothing to do with the NBA.

On the moonless night of Nov. 15, 2002, five young boys ran across a park, jumped a 61-year-old man, bound his wrists, duct-taped his mouth, and beat him with pipes until his heart stopped.

All for his wallet.

That man was Nathaniel Jones, the grandfather of future NBA star Chris Paul.

In this article, Rick Reilly shows us how Chris Paul may amaze us on the court, however the most amazing thing about Chris Paul is his compassion and ability to forgive the five boys who took the life of his grandfather, his best friend.


"Even though I miss my granddad," Paul told me, "I understand that he's not coming back. At the time, it made me feel good when I heard they went away for life. But now that I'm older, when I think of all the things I've seen in my life? No, I don't want it. I don't want it."


This is a great article that reaches beyond the lines of a basketball court and teaches us all more about life. If Chris Paul, one of the greatest basketball players on the planet can find the strength in him to forgive, then so can we. It shows us that there are bigger things in life than just a round ball and a basket. I already loved watching Chris play and respected the many things he could on the floor...but now, I respect him more off the floor as a human being. It will make me strive to be a better person and learn to find the strength to become a servant leader, just like Chris Paul.


http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6436820


No comments:

Post a Comment