Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Doing what you believe is right even though it may not be best for you




Andy Staples has a great article in Sports Illustrated about Arizona Associate Head Coach Mike Dunlap. It talks about how Mike passed on the interim head coaching job (when Lute Olsen retired) based on his principle and beliefs: "I said, 'If you give me or anybody else the interim label, you're going to lose four recruits that are high-end...That's not a good way to deal with things, and I believe in doing things right." Instead of worrying about the future of the program, Dunlap and Interim Head Coach Russ Pennell (right) quickly went to working on the present. They have gotten their players to buy in to the simple goals that they have set, and despite what the expectations may have been, the 'Cats now find themselves in the Sweet Sixteen. Looking back, Dunlap says he has no regrets: "If I were to have a regret at this point, it would be totally selfish about what the returns were...I'm a purist. I made my decision on principle." If we never allow ourselves to become a part of something bigger than oursleves, then we will never become whole.